Shock is a medical condition that occurs when there’s a lack of blood circulation. This life-threatening condition delays the supply of oxygen and nutrients throughout the body and this can go wrong pretty fast.
It can be caused by a variety of things, including trauma, drowning, accidents, allergic reactions, dehydration and even severe diarrhea.
Regardless of the cause, it must be treated a.s.a.p.
So, how do you know if your dog is in shock?
As mentioned earlier, shock is an extremely dangerous situation. Therefore it’s extremely important to recognize the early clinical signs.
The first moment after your dog experienced some kind of trauma, incident or other event, you should try to identify these symptoms:
Fast heart rate,
Pulse is easy to find,
Gums are pale
The dog is over excited or very calm (may look depressed).
As time goes on, the following, more severe signs of shock start to develop:
His mental condition is going backwards, possibly leading into unconsciousness and coma.
The eyes may become watery and the dog is not able to focus
The dog is either breathing very slow or very fast
The body temperature starts to drop, the dog begins to feel cold.
Extremely weak pulse
The heart rate may be high and irregular. However, it may feel normal or lower when the heart begins to fail.
The lips and gums are very pale, possibly having a blue-ish shine.
Your first priority is to prevent heat loss. You can do so by covering the dog with a emergency thermal blanket. If you don’t have one handy, use a jacket or any other piece of clothing.
Your next priority is to bring the dog to the veterinary emergency unit as soon as possible!
When you’re on the way, keep in mind that you may need to:
Stop bleeding if there is any
Restrain the dog and apply a muzzle, but make sure that it doesn’t affect his breathing.
Protect other wounds or fractures from further implications
Don’t attempt to give water or food to the dog. The dog may inhale it and may suffocate.
Don’t give any medications, unless instructed by a qualified veterinarian.
Don’t ignore early stages of shock! Even if you think your dog is not in shock, take him to the vet after an accident! Don’t hesitate going to the emergency care unit.
Implications from shock come extremely fast and every second is vital!
There are a few triggers for shock in dogs, and one of the more common ones is after being attacked. Aside from road accidents and allergic reactions (anaphylactic shock). So is your dog in shock after being attacked? You have to keep your own safety in mind at all times, and if possible, remove the aggressive dog from the area. Restrain the injured dog and assess the overall situation. You should go to the vet immediately!
Thank you for staying with me, I hope you've learned some useful information.
© 2020 Advanced Canine Education